Sunday, June 21, 2009

Steeped in Embarrassment!


In Chestnut Hill we have a farmer's market that is around the corner from my shop and I usually stop by on Thursday mornings to pick up some sushi for my lunch. This past Thursday I was in a great mood and was wearing a new white blouse (a designer number with a big ruffle down the front) even though I knew I would probably have tea stains on it by the end of the day. When I went to the sushi stand the man who makes the sushi,who has never looked up from his preparations on the numerous other times I was at their stand, pushed the woman waiting on me aside and decided to wait on me himself- even though he barely spoke English. I couldn't understand why he was paying so much attention to me but I paid for my sushi and headed to the post office to buy stamps for postcards I was sending to customers. The man in line ahead of me started talking to me and when his turn at the counter was over he stood next to me and kept talking to me while I purchased my stamps. He started to guess why I needed so many stamps (was I in a band? did I run a gallery?)and I practically had to run away from him. As I walked back to my shop a UPS truck beeped its horn at me and I made a mental note to check and see if there had been a full moon the night before since everyone was acting so odd. When I arrived at my shop I walked past a mirrored case where I keep teapots and noticed the reason for my new found attention- my blouse was unbuttoned (pretty much to my navel). The ruffle had acted nicely in preventing a draft which is why I did not notice. I haven't had Assam in quite awhile but I made myself a big mug with honey and steamed milk- after I fixed my blouse. Talk about emotional tea pairing. The tea made me feel better but I don't think I will be going to the farmer's market for a long time.

3 comments:

Susie said...

This is so funny. A good cup of tea can make any situation seem lighter.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is hysterical! *LOL* I was going to tell you how funny I thought this was when I was there the other day, but didn't have the opportunity. Designer pieces are supposed to be attention getters, but not like this! Keep the funny stories coming...you are good for the giggles!

Learned Again said...

Thanks for the good cheer! Must be affirming that you are such an attention-getter at any age!